Skip to content

High value residential property let by a company – does the ATED apply?

The Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) is a tax on high-value residential properties that are held within ‘an envelope’, such as a company or a partnership with at least one corporate partner. The charge does not apply to properties held by individuals.

The charge may potentially apply where a property in the UK which is valued at more than £500,000 is owned completely or partly by a company, a partnership with at least one corporate partner or a collective investment scheme (such as a unit trust or an open-ended investment company). 

The charge is payable annually in advance. Where a property is within the scope of the ATED on 1 April, an ATED return must be made online by 30 April and the tax for the period from 1 April to the following 31 March must be paid by the same date. The table below shows the rates of ATED that applies for the period from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023.

Value of property

ATED (2022/23)

More than £500,000 to up to £1 million


More than £1 million up to £2 million


More than £2 million up to £5 million


More than £5 million up to £10 million


More than £10 million up to £20 million


More than £20 million



Letting exemption

There are a number of exemptions from the ATED charge. One of these is the letting exemption.

The ATED charge does not apply if the property is let on a commercial basis and is not, at any time, occupied (or available for occupation) by anyone connected with the owner. 

Provided that this test is met, relief will be available. The relief must be claimed through HMRC’s ATED online service. If the claim reduces the ATED charge to nil (which will be the case if all high-value residential properties owned by the company are let on a commercial basis), a Relief Declaration Return needs to be completed.


Need tax planning support?

Knowing when to repay a director’s loan, and understanding the tax implications for both the company and yourself can be tricky. At Inform Accounting, our experienced team are on hand to advise you and make sure you’re as tax efficient as possible.

If you’re interested in our tax planning services, give us a call on (0121) 667 3882, or email our Business Development Manager at to see how we can help.


Expense eBook CTA_1000x600_011519

Read more of Inform's tax blogs:


Speak to one of our specialist accountants today!

If you’d like to know more about how we can support your wealth management, we’re happy to help.